Friday, September 9, 2011

Starfish Circus in Traverse City!

Starfish Circus started yesterday and I couldn't  be happier!

What is Starfish Circus? Why, I'm glad you asked, dear anonymous reader.  Starfish Circus is a two-week long circus residency program for high-schools.  What this means is that a group of circus coaches (including me) shows up at a high-school, holds an audition, casts 50-80 kids, and then in just two weeks, teaches them enough circus skills to put on a full show.  

Yesterday was play day, the first part of this whole process.  I got out of baking class (where I made delicious choc. chip banana bread and raisin bran muffins), and went over to the high-school to meet up with the other coaches.  We spent most of the afternoon alternating between rigging gear in the auditorium, and going from class to class talking to the kids about the program.  We told them a little bit about ourselves and our circus backgrounds, what types of skills we would be teaching them, when the show is (Sept. 23rd and 24th.  Mark you calendars!), and what the time commitment would be. But, most importantly, we invited them to play day after school, where they can show up and try out all of the equipment! 

Play day is always fun for me. I get to meet new kids, let them try new things, and secretly scout for talent, which will come in handy today.  Today is auditions, and while we run things more like a workshop than a traditional audition, it is still stressful. I have to run a lot of kids through two different pieces of equipment (poi and rolla-bolla) in not a lot of time, so I often end up feeling rushed.  I also have to actually decide who makes the cut and who doesn't.  Having done this for over a year, I've gotten better at learning to be ruthless and selfish, thinking in terms of what will be best for the show, rather than what kid seems nice, or tried hard.  Yes, those personal qualities can made a difference, but come second to raw skill and natural aptitude.  So today will be the day of stress, where I might crush a few children's dreams, but will also get to pick the lucky bunch that I get to spend the next two weeks training with!

No comments:

Post a Comment